Short Course on Industrial Wetting 2016
March 14-17, 2016, Center of Smart Interfaces
Course Director: Prof. Tatiana Gambaryan-Roisman
Please click to download the course flyer and program.
This course has the aim to present the fundamentals and industrial applications of wetting phenomena to engineers and researchers in chemical, mechanical, pharmaceutical, environmental and food engineering.
The fundamentals of interfacial physics and wetting phenomena are addressed in the first day of the course, together with the methods of theoretical and numerical description of wetting.
The second day is devoted to techniques for preparation of surfaces and characterization of interfaces. These are experimental methods determining contact angle, interfacial tension, etc.
On the third day the complex wetting phenomena will be presented, involving complex surfaces (soft, textured, porous, coated…) and complex liquids (surfactant solutions). A special focus of the day lies on the methods of controlling the wetting phenomena.
The last day is devoted to typical industrial applications relying on the wetting phenomena such as functional printing and coating, prevention of ice accretion, etc.
The program foresees intensive discussions between the participants and the lecturers and also among the participants. The aim is to address on-going development and application problems suggested by the participants. Industrial exhibitors of wetting and spreading diagnostics will be available on the second day for demonstrations and discussions.
The course language is English.
- Dr. Elmar Bonaccurso, Project Leader for Aerodynamic Efficient Surfaces at Airbus Defence and Space GmbH
- Prof. Joel De Coninck, heads the Laboratory of Surface and Interfacial Physics, University of Mons
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. Edgar Dörsam, heads the Institute of Printing Science and Technology at the TU Darmstadt
- Apl. Prof. Dr. Tatiana Gambaryan-Roisman, heads a research group at the Institute of Technical Thermodynamics at the TU Darmstadt
- Dr.-Ing. Nicklas Linder, TWT Science & Innovation GmbH
- Prof. Shlomo Magdassi, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Center for Nanoscience and Nanotechnology
- Dr. habil. Reinhard Miller, heads a research group at the Max Planck Institute of Colloids and Interfaces
- Prof. Ramon G. Rubio Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Department of Chemical Physics
- Priv.-Doz. Dr. Ilia V Roisman, heads a research group at the Institute For Fluid Mechanics and Aerodynamics at the TU Darmstadt
- Prof. Dr. Robert Stark, heads the Institute Physics of Surfaces at the TU Darmstadt
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. Peter Stephan, heads the Institute of Technical Thermodynamics at the TU Darmstadt
- Prof. Victor Starov, Loughborough University, Department of Chemical Engineering
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. Cameron Tropea, heads the Institute for Fluid Mechanics and Aerodynamics at the TU Darmstadt
- Dr. Joachim Venzmer, Head of Research Interfacial Technology, Evonik Nutrition & Care GmbH
The course is to be held at the Center of Smart Interfaces (Lichtwiese Campus Building L2|06), Alarich-Weiss-Straße 10, 64287 Darmstadt, Germany.
Participants should make their own accommodation arrangements.
Please refer to this link for other accomodation options.
For further information, please contact Ms. Monika Medina: